Step 1: Select Region
Switch to the AWS Region in which your service (server instance, incase of EC2) have been initiated.
Step 2: Simple Notification Service(SNS) Topic
- Goto Simple Notification Service inside your AWS console.
- Create a new topic by clicking Create Topic, with any credentials. (Ideally, just use "Spectrum" for both)
- Create a new Subscription by clicking Create Subscription with Protocol as "HTTPS" and Endpoint as https://spectrumapp.io/monitor.
- SNS will automatically verify the subscription. (If it doesn't, just click the refresh button after a couple of seconds)
Step 3: CloudWatch Alarms:
- Goto CloudWatch inside your AWS console.
- Go to Alarms, and then click on Create Alarm button.
Select a metric
- Select a Category. Common examples include EC2, S3 and more.
- Select a Metric and click Next button. Common examples include CPU Utilization metric inside EC2 category.
Define an alarm
- Name: Any string, generally the metric name, like CPU Utilization, Disk Usage and more.
- Description: Any relevant information you would like to add.
- Benchmark: Specify the alarm criteria. In our example, it could be 80% CPU Utilization.
- Treat missing data as: Set it to good (not breaching threshold), to avoid false alarms.
- Add a notification, for "ALARM" state, and select the above-created SNS topic for notifications.
- Add a notification by clicking + Notification button, for "OK" state, and select the above-created SNS topic for notifications.
Repeat the above process for all new and existing alarms you may have for all categories and metrics you would like to monitor.
Step 4: IAM User
To retrieve Account ID
- Click on your username in the navbar and then click My Account.
- There will be your Account Id under the section with heading Account Settings.
To retrieve Access Key and Secret Key
- Goto IAM inside your AWS console.
- Go to Users, and then click on Add User button.
- Details: Add the User Name as "spectrum" and enable Programmatic access. Click Next: Permission.
- Permission: Click on Attach existing policies directly then search and select "CloudWatchFullAccess" from the list below. Click Next: Review.
- Review: Review the details and click Create User to move forward.
- Complete: Note down the Access Key and Secret Keys carefully somehwere and/or download the .csv file. Click Close.
- You have successfully created the user, and now it will be listed in the Users tab.
Step 5: Monitoring
- Add the above-created AWS account credentials on Spectrum using Add Product Form.
- Monitor all your alarms in one screen and get notifications when the alarm's state changes.
- Click the gear icon on the right side of the product box and click on Add Member button.
- Just enter the email of your team member, and they will be invited via email.
Thats it! Now you can start monitoring your server in real-time. Below steps are optional.
Step 6: Notification (optional)
Go to the Edit Profile section, using the top right corner dropdown menu.
SMS Notifications(Indian Customers Only)
- Enter your 10 digit mobile number and verify it using OTP sent to you.
- Enable the SMS Notification in the Notification Section.
Web Push Notifications
- Enable the Web Push Notification in the Notification Section.
- Your browser will prompt you to enable Push Notifications from Spectrum. Click Allow.
Mobile Push Notifications
- Download the Spectrum app for Android from Play Store.
- Login to your Spectrum account from the app.
- Grant permissions to the app to send you push notifications.